Friday, July 14, 2017

Moonflower coupes



I dreamt that I saw two of those long forgotten half-moon coupes
flowing passed me as I stood in my garden
in the silent deep of the night.
Those crescent bodies of the deuce coupes were fashioned
entirely out of dreams and white-petaled moonflowers,  
soft as a little girl’s skin.
As I watched, those two coupes
glided onward down the ash-colored street,
shimmering, wakes of incandescence cooling
and then faintly splashing against the low curbing
to either side of the street.
There was no other sound.
I heard not a whisper of wind
in the silent deep of the moonlit night.
And then the satiny hushed coupes both turned together
onto the yard in front of the dark-windowed house
where the two little tow-haired neighbor girls I know both live.
And I will tell you now,
the ground-hugging edges of those moonflower coupes
fluttered just a little like little girls’ ruffled skirts
as they floated effortlessly
up and over the curbed edge and onto the dewy grass
in the silent deep of a moonflowered night.
The two little girls must have been fast asleep at that hour,
of course, and you should know, if you don’t already know,
that moonflowers bloom for only one night.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

What a wonderful word sketch: it slowly unfurls the moving image in my mind.