Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Pumpkinhead 2017



I’ve played ‘Pumpkinhead’ before. I say that I’m scaring kids on Halloween, but who am I fooling? Oh, I have scared a few. Kids – and parents – have told me so.

But this is all a game. It’s a little spooky. That is the point. Sort of.

But it all happens so fast. I can barely see shapes and shadows out of my eyeholes. I’m listening for voices. I do know some of these kids – and their parents. And more kids that I will only meet once – as Pumpkinhead. But no one – not even me - knows for certain quite what they are seeing right in front of their eyes.

I remain motionless where I am sitting or standing. Big Mama sways a little in a nonexistent wind. I am looking into eyes I mostly cannot see. They are looking back into eyes they cannot see. Looking back and forth at the figures in front of them. Then, finally, I lift my arm – ‘that is Pumpkinhead No. 1’s arm – and wave. And then I hear laughter when they realize that their eyes haven’t been seeing what they had thought they were seeing. And I hear myself laughing.

We’ve all been fooling ourselves. Mostly. Playing along with illusions. I am sitting out there in a dark, cold, porchlit yard all evening – I have a front row seat - and I still miss most of the show. It is dark, after all, and it all happens so fast.

One girl paid me the ultimate compliment from the side walk as I waved. At least I took it that way. She said ‘There’s a person in there.’

I pulled the pumpkin mask away just a few times last night. I wanted the kids to see my face. Who am I fooling? I wanted to see theirs more clearly.

But the game goes on. I put my arm around Big Mama and we sway together a little in a nonexistent wind. I hear some rustling sounds in the dark. I wait and watch.

I mostly listen for the laughter. There are persons out there.


1 comment:

Trix said...

I love Halloween at your house.Thanks for scaring the be-jesus out of me one year. I've never forgotten it.