Saturday, November 11, 2017

Trash poem No. 2


A trashy little poem (FB - three years ago)
If your cart is full
when you haul it to the curb,
and the moon is full and rising,
what else is left but to think of someone
else not with you in the evening
and write blank verse on the internet.

And of all non-people, FB thought I would want to share it. Well, okay. It's no skin off my nose. But not without comment. And not with a damned 'See more..."

The trashy poem I wrote three years ago –
and posted on FB –
is no better
and no worse
than it ever was -
or will be.
But I have changed -
my socks and my
shirts,
and I have taken on weight
and gray hair
and taken some off –
I mean the weight -
but it’s true that my wife uses a scissors –
but I cannot help it if
she makes pie.
But I have not changed who I love –
unless it is for more -
or for less.
Well, that’s just not true –
but I’m certainly not going to change what
I said at this point.
It’s not that far off.
Like the moon.
(Been to Andromeda lately?)
But nothing is more impossible
for me
than staying the
same.
And if a cat steps on my
keyboard
that’s not
my fault
either.
Were it not for opposable thumbs we wouldn’t need a spacebar at all.
My point -
and I hope, if you find one,
you will let me know just what it is -
my point just barely clears the low bar for trash.
Because, after all these years I do love you.
I just don’t know who I am
or what love is
or where in the world you
are.
And who are you?
It’s not that I am entirely mistaken
about everything,
but with the recycling in the blue bin
and the trash in green bin
and the blue bin goes out every other week –
and it stays in every other week -
and that’s to say nothing at all about the
compostables -
some of which I bundle
with twine
and some of which I just
toss onto my own
pile -
I should remind you
that no one forced you to read this trash -
and maybe I wasn’t writing this to you
anyway.
Now don’t you feel
embarrassed for reading someone
else’s poem?
But the FBI has a history
of rooting around in other
people’s blue bins and
green bins -
(but they generally stay out of the
compostibles.)
And Facebook is almost the same thing -
without the Intelligence.
Don’t trip over coincidences.
There’s a handy curb on both sides of the street
you might trip over in real time if you want to –
unless there a ditches
that you can just as easily fall into -
or not.
But as I was saying,
if I love you
I don’t know what I am
saying.
And what I mean
is anyone’s guess,
but I am just as sure as the world
that I have seen something
in a woman’s eyes.
Which one,
and which time,
and how often
and for how
long
is nobody else’s business.
And I’m not even sure
about me -
and you.
It’s about once a week
that I care enough to
hall my cart to the curb
and if I howl,
I howl.
And I mean at the moon
by the curb
at the end
of my
concrete
driveway.
But -
And I have to know:
is it the light true
or is it reflected?
And how is it that my eyes
see the absence of light
in the night?
And sometimes the very black
is like the fur of my cat –
soft wandering between the LED’s
on my way to the bathroom.
Which one of us wanders more
I could not say.
I couldn’t walk
a straight line at that
hour if I tried.
(Is door jam one word or
two?)
The important thing
is not something I wish to
spell out at this time.
And unless I am writing
to you,
I am not writing to you.
Come to think of it
I’m not even sure I believe
what I saw in your eyes.
This is trash –
too many words by half –
or more.
But I’m not going to take
anything back.
I don’t stand by anything
I said and didn’t mean –
And I don’t stand by what I meant
and didn’t say.
And I already said too many times
that I don’t really know what I mean
anyway.
So don’t bother trying
to read between the lines –
it’s just white space.
(Insert emoticon here)
Pardon me,
this is just trash


No comments: