Thursday, March 22, 2018

An embarrassment of riches Or Creative excess



A slice of whole wheat bread,
fresh and warm from the oven -
why, a man might live by just that alone.
But butter might be better
and apricot jam …
… and now this just in:
my wife went and made those ridiculous cupcakes again.
Just the overwhelming scent of chocolate
would make a grown man drool.
And then when I took the first bite I nearly swooned.
Chocolate – rich, light-textured, dark chocolate - 
and just the cake would have been quite enough.
But then she had filled in the centers of the cupcakes
with a gooey dark chocolate ganache.
I mean a man couldn’t lick his fingers fast enough.
Well that, dear reader, really should have been that.
But no! Then she topped those ridiculous cupcakes
with a ridiculous buttercream frosting.
Absurd.
Bonkers.
Crazy.
I had to go for a walk.
I mean, a man might lose his mind.
It’s absolutely ridiculous.
Life is embarrassingly rich.
Ludicrously luscious,
and that’s still just this one man’s opinion
about the butter on the bread.
Forget about cupcakes!
Just give me a glass of cold water
and a slice of fresh bread
and I’ll just sit contentedly on my front porch swing
Maybe I’ll just nod off for a bit.
Truly, this is all too ridiculous for words.