Thursday, October 25, 2012

Birds of a feather


From the curve of the bridge
I looked away,
and then in front of me
soundless bursts of wind
dove onto the surface
of the river
and fanned out in woven ripples
like flocks of air in reflected sky.
Here and there they swirled
while the gulls waiting
in the rock-strewn shallows
paid them no heed.

And where have all the leaves gone?
Only a few float beneath my feet.
If only the sun
weren’t still so warm on my back,
or the careless clouds
drifting through my view of the river
above and also below, the
wind plays as if tomorrow
were just another day.

Perhaps I’ll wait a little longer,
heedless of the weather,
just in case this wind flies south for the winter.


1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

I particularly like the imagery in this poem of the ripples of water being like flocks of birds and then the mention of the gulls not noticing them. Harder to catch the meaning of the second stanza. And the last line has rhythm: nice.