Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wind




One should be clear from the outset,
one is not the same as another,
but this is how I write poetry, sometimes.
I walk around with my eyes open,
I listen with my ears,
I make some effort to notice the things
that make an impression on me.
And then I go to bed at a reasonable hour.
And being the age I am,
I wake in the middle of the night -
sometimes the needle on the phonograph skips,
and the needle just ticks –
round and round and round it ticks -
until I finally get up and sit in front of a page.
And then I let the lines go down,
I let one word follow another,
until there are no more.

It can’t be as simple as that, you say?

I once had a boat.
I bought it for five hundred dollars.
I futzed with the lights on the trailer.
I hitched it to my Mazda pickup
and I drove it to the lake.
I spent an hour or so rigging the mast and sails,
and then I backed it into the water.
I kept one hand on the rudder
and one eye on the billowing sail,
and yes, it’s was simple as that.
If I don’t have to make the water
and I don’t have to make the wind blow,
there’s not much more to sailing than that.

I was never the greatest of sailors,
but I felt what it was
to fly over the water
in the face of the wind.
On that boat on that lake,
I could feel the wind and the water.

And if it were not for poetry,
I’d buy another boat,
one the size of a long wagon,
and I’d pull it behind me as I walked along the shore,
I’d set the sail by the river’s edge,
and wait for the wind to blow.
It would be as simple as that.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

In that case, I'm glad you have poetry! Just imagine a sailboat on the river.