Thursday, September 19, 2013

Circles



It must have been a fish,
I really didn’t see.
It must have said,
Let there be circles -
and there were circles:
concentric circles;
circles growing ever larger;
perfect circles on the still, murky
plane of water
on the upstream side
of the Bowersock dam.

And then when the leading edges
of the circles reached the rubber
surface of the dam,
the circles bounced back into semi-circles.

And then in a few seconds more
there were no circles,
only still, murky water spread across
the exposed curvature of the planet.

I know about circles from high school,
physics and wave motions,
mathematics and measurements
in which pi factors elegantly.

What puzzles me now
has more to do with why
these circles should have caught
my notice at all.
And then upon further reflection,
that they should astonish me
so seldom.

A tall black bird –
perhaps an errant cormorant –
watching from a partly submerged rock
in the river downstream from the dam
slowly extended its wings
several times.
It did not fly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just checking in from the library. I'm not really trying to hide from anyone, but not even I have anything more to say about my poem at this point.

bert