Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rudabagas are red, blueberries are juicy



No one ever confuses me for a poet.
No one ever says I’m even half the poet Wendell Berry is.
No one suggests that every high school student in Lawrence 
should compare my poems to Robert Frost’s – 
certainly not to a summer’s eve.
No one has ever called me the bard of New Hampshire Street.
I’m more like a Mr. Smith –
a Mr. Word Smith –
Go ahead and call me a crafter of words –
it will suit me nicely.
But I know what I am.
I am something of a poet if nothing else.
How much of a poet, you ask?
Maybe you should read some and consider for yourself.
But don’t start with this bit of half-baked word casserole.
Even T.S. Eliot had his grocery lists and his notes to self
to pick up the dry cleaning.
Only if I were Billy Collins 
might you actually consider this poetry.
Of course these days, most people wouldn’t recognize a poet
if they read one – 
let alone saw them moving their lips while mowing their lawn,
or editing their grocery list while waiting in line with an empty basket.
And I never said I wasn’t confused.
But I think there was a poet lurking among the sweet potatoes
at the farmer’s market on Thursday,
poking at their eyes and rubbing their brownish skins
with the soft of an extended little finger.
I stood watching among the scattered raindrops,
too dumb to come inside but not to write poetry.
I yam what I yam.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

Got that right: you waar what you waar. And you often have a way with words.