Thursday, September 26, 2013

Simile



I don’t know why
they don’t say
diamonds sparkle
like eyes,
or that stars
twinkle like eyes,
or that buttons
are as cute
as the young woman sitting
outside of Chipotle’s
this afternoon,
her eyes smiling
into mine,
life breathing in
and out of her nostrils,
and lips she had,
and curly, short hair,
too,
and skin the color
of smooth
with a ripple or maybe a leaf
floating on the surface -
here and there,
that touch of a smile.

And I will say
her eyes were darker and rounder
than age-darkened pennies.
And I will say
they gleamed
with playful warmth.
And now I think I will stop
playing with words
like a fool on a bench
and walk around the block
on the chance she really exists
and not just in these lines
and might look up at me
as if I do, too.

No comments: