Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer hot



Summer hot has come.
The earth begins to bake.
The sky is bright blue,
the clouds puffed up
and far between.

The sun is behind it all,
or else above it all,
depending on one’s perspective.

A fusion fire so far away,
the blazing radiant heat
barely trickles out
as far as our little spot.

Yet I walk on mostly frying pan sidewalks,
the trees left distilling chlorophyll in sun 
shade some of me.

I will have to pour down
rivers of ice water to replenish
all that has transpired.

Watchful vultures circle on updrafts -
invisible smoke and mirrors.
The hot wind blows in my ears.

The burning sun is shattered
into sparks and shards
against the reflecting water glass
and is not quenched.

I squint.
But my skin is indeed the organ
of receptivity -
summer hot licks my salt.

I will not quarrel if it is
the heat or the humidity.
But I will bow down my head,
my body wilting,
and pray for the night to come.
And then I will raise my head again
to welcome the summer hot day.
 


2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

I'll try to "welcome the summer hot day" but you know that I need an attitude adjustment in this regard!

Bert Haverkate-Ens said...

Latitude or state of mind adjustment?