Thursday, August 28, 2014

Social Service League Pitcher

 

This is just a simple little story about finding yourself in the path of good fortune. I was out for my regular walk and stopped in at the Social Service League Thrift Store for no particular reason. I found a slightly cracked blue pitcher that I thought might look good somewhere in my garden. And then I picked up a paperback book of T.S Eliot’s poems. The woman at the counter suggested two bucks and I hope I gave her a little more. I walked out with more treasure than I bargained for.

I had also put my digital camera in my pocket before I left home on the off chance I might take some pictures. And somewhere, as I swung the pitcher in one hand as I walked along, the idea came to me. I placed, especially, the pitcher in among the flowers in the planter boxes as the composition and color somehow looked right to me. Eventually I carried the pitcher along with me over the bridge and then I turned and headed for home, occasionally stopping to take more pictures along the way.

Now the Social Service League is stuck in a financial hard spot. I’ll skip the details, but in addition to being an important shop for people to find real and essential bargains, they are a place that people can go to to get connected to other things that they need. And I find that I belong in that store, sometimes, as well, often finding what I am not looking for.

Here are some more of the pictures.



















No comments: