Thursday, September 4, 2014

Night work





I put on my black pants
for the dark.
I should have worn
a soft shirt for the cool.
No shoes, no socks,
the back lawn like a soaked sponge.
I blink my eyes
several times –
thought they were playing tricks.
Lightning flickers over in the next county,
a short in the wiring,
not serious.

I’ll take shift work if I have to.
I welcome the whispers
of the insects I cannot see.
Cars are far between.
I walk down the middle of the street,
a pattern of drizzled tar over
still warm cappuccino streets.
The manhole cover is round.

Someone left a light on
at the church on the corner.
I don’t think I ever peered through
that door window  across the street.
Red lockers on one wall,
red exit sign, not one child
in sight. Not one.

I can see as I turn
what they all see
in a different light.
Tonight over the roofline of the church
the horizon lights bright
on and off.
Someone playing with a switch.

My feet step with care.
I might be walking on sacred ground.
I feel the damp night air
against my bare chest.
How long have I forgotten to breathe it in?

I hear the sound of a running brook,
the storm drain where three raccoons once lived.

Perhaps I’m missing something.
It’s impossible not to miss almost everything.

Even the night watchman must sleep sometime.
But one thing puzzles me.
Why do my arms flail out from my shoulders
when it’s my feet cringing
on the hard gravel of my driveway
as I complete my round
and step back inside to lay my head down
and close my eyes for a minute?



No comments: