Thursday, September 18, 2014

Moon-colored



  

I wanted not to say how pretty you looked,
standing there in your rose-colored dress.
I wanted rather to ask you if you had seen the moon
high and bright the other night.
Of course, we would have been standing then
miles apart among the city chorus of cicadas.
But the distance really makes no difference
any more than it matters how pretty you look.
I had only wanted to know if you had noticed
how the shining moon left silvery streaks
on thick threads of wispy clouds across
the blue-black sky.
But then you turned away from me
and I saw your slender back,
a wide crescent of moon-colored skin crossed
by rose-colored strips of cloth.
And then I wanted not to tell you
of the stars above
or your glittering eyes below.
I wanted only to see your face
by the night-colored light of the moon.

2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

Those *are* sparkly shoes. Nice picture too.

Bailyss would appreciate this poem and post. Did you think of sending her a link?

Cloth Girl said...

What a beautiful evocation. Thanks for sharing this.