Thursday, April 12, 2018

Spirit seeking




I went forth upon the land to see if there be any spirits still free.

From the levee to North Lawrence, from the Kaw River to the school, I went forth on my bicycle riding.

On the levee, I had passed by a woman, jogging along, sun-colored ponytail bobbing.

On a sidewalk, I had passed by a man, gray curly hair tucked under a cloth cap, azure tennis shoes shuffling.

On the bridge, I had passed by a woman, wind-whipped florescent pink sweatshirt wrapped around  waist walking.

On 7th Street, I had passed by a man, sweat-shiny black face carrying his forklift load high hand waving.

At NY Elementary School, children had passed me by, backpacks of every color as I had sat watching.

And then this scene, pictured here, I had passed it by on my quest. I will speak not now of signs and wonders. You can judge all for yourself.

Perhaps I might have found what I had sought, if I only had opened wider mine eyes. Perhaps there be spirits still free breathing among the strangers near meeting.

2 comments:

Trix said...

The sculpture and mailbox are very Lawrence. Love it!

Unknown said...

Where's that sculpture? I REALLY want to see it in person.